At last week's Sachem Central School District Board of Education meeting, representatives from design and construction management firms gave a presentation to the board about the current state of the EXCEL Bond Capital Improvement program sprucing up parts of the district.
JAG Architects and McClave Construction Management gave out a document with photos and status updates on the various projects (see PDF to the right).
The $33,141,716 improvement initiative calls for renovations to all 18 Sachem schools. According to the district, Sachem North is receiving the biggest facelift, worth $10,525,600. Sachem East, hindered by construction issues since its inaugural year in 2004, is getting $4,006,100 in repairs.
This summer, according to the district, the following projects were worked on:
- Replacement of windows and curtain wall at Sachem North
- Blast wall construction at Gatelot Elementary
- Reconstruction of the Surge tank at the North pool
- Gas tank replacement at facilities
- Electrical upgrades and pad mount transformer at Gatelot
- Sidewalk, concrete and asphalt reconstruction at most buildings
- Track reconstruction at Seneca Middle School
- Replacement of visitor bleachers at North (work to begin after 2010 football season)
- Asbestos abatement at District Office, Grundy Avenue and Lynwood
- Replacement of casework at Merrimac and Waverly
- Replacement of sinking nurse's office slab and leveling of kitchen slab at Gatelot
- Replacement of chimney at Gatelot
- Toilet reconstruction at Samoset Middle School and Seneca
- Masonry repair at Samoset
- Installation of perimeter fencing between the school and Sachem Youth Soccer League complex at Waverly
- Replacement of existing exterior underground heat piping and re-routed to interior at Lynwood and Gatelot