The deadline for contractors to submit proposals in response to the agency's RFP expired at 2 p.m. today. All proposals were to be sent in a sealed envelope to the LIRR's procurement and logistics division on Sutphin Boulevard in Jamaica, Queens. The agency asked for qualified contractors to submit plans to complete work that includes:
- Site investigation and survey including delineation of right-of-way and property lines; wetlands delineation; and controls
- Site preparation including implementation of stormwater management controls; clearing and grubbing; establishment of construction staging and access areas; debris removal and disposal
- Installation of an FRA approved inter track barrier between track 1 and the construction area.
- Construction of temporary and permanent earth retaining structures
- Earthworks as required to establish and meet design grades
- Temporary and permanent utility relocations
- Maintenance and Protection of Traffic (both pedestrian and vehicular) for both the Railroad’s and Contractor’s efforts, and obtaining applicable permits, as required
- Culvert installations
- Modification of a pedestrian overpass
- Maintaining rail traffic at all times.
- Provide all field facilities, support, etc. as identified in the Contract Document for the duration of the contract
Prospective candidates for the job were invited to a walk-through of the site on July 18, but it's unclear which specific contractors, if any, participated. Calls to an LIRR spokesperson were not returned.
The LIRR Double Track Project is a 12.6 mile line of fresh tracks that will run from Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale stations, thereby completing the Ronkonkoma Branch's two-track line to Penn Station. The LIRR maintains that the Double Track will increase frequency of trains and cut down on delays.
Read our coverage of the Double Track's kickoff event.
Read our coverage of the LIRR's Environmental Assessment for the Double Track project.