For the second time in a week, police and paramedics have rescued someone from a heroin overdose in Sachem.
On Friday morning, police responded to the parking lot of the Mobil gas station on Express Drive North in Holbrook after a 911 caller reported a man "was possibly overdosing," police said.
Officers found a 26-year-old Holbrook man unconscious in a vehicle when they arrived on the scene, police said.
Sixth Precinct officers Keith Liere and Jennifer Wendell, with assistance from Gary Stadler, a first responder from the Ronkonkoma Fire Department, responded and administered the intranasal medication Narcan into the nose of the victim, police said.
The victim, whom police did not identify, became conscious and alert.
The man was transported to Stony Brook University Medical Center for treatment and was subsequently charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance and possession of a hypodermic instrument.
On Sunday, police a woman from a heroin overdose in the parking lot of a Ronkonkoma Carvel.
The deployment of intranasal Narcan for overdose victims is a pilot program of the New York State Department of Health, with the SCPD's Fourth, Sixth and Seventh Precincts and Marine Bureau currently participating in the program.