In the fast paced world of the average American family, which may often include, hectic schedules, soccer practice for one child, and then choir practice for the other... it can be tough to ensure that you and your family are getting the proper nutrition you need to stay healthy—particularly since men, women and children have different nutritional needs. Here are some nutritional tips for the entire family.
Omega 3 for everyone...
The omega-3 fatty acids provide important health benefits for a variety of body systems, and no foundational nutritional supplement is complete without them. The DHA portion of Fish oil has been shown to support brain functions, while the EPA portion of Fish Oil has been shown to support cardiovascular, immune, and musculoskeletal health, as well as fetal growth and development.
Unfortunately, the standard American diet is low in omega-3 fatty acids and other important nutrients. So, when you're choosing the best supplements for you and your family, be sure to consume enough foundation nutrition plus support for overall health, including:
- extra strength fish oil containing highly concentrated EPA-DHA omega-3 fatty acids
- a comprehensive multivitamin/mineral formula (without iron for men, with added iron for women)
Added Nutrients for Men
Men need added support for virility and vitality in their 30s and beyond, so in addition to the foundational nutritional supplements listed above, many men might benefit from:
- a supplement offering tribulus fruit, ashwgandha root, cowage seed, and other natural ingredients for vigor, vitality, and a positive mood
- zinc, to support immune and prostate health.
- a testosterone supplement to aid in balancing the testosterone levels that typically decrease with age. This will help with recovery after a workout, (even if it's raking the leaves), and strength support.
Added Nutrients for Women
Women of all ages also may benefit from targeted nutrients to stay vibrant and healthy. These include:
- A balanced combination of calcium, phosphorous, microcrystalline hydroxyapatite concentrate (or MCHC, the actual substance that makes up much of the structure of bones) and magnesium to support healthy bone density and muscle relaxation
- Vitamin E complex for cardiovascular and nervous system health and protection against damaging free radicals (molecules that cause potentially harmful chemical reactions in the body.
Enough cannot be written here about how diet and exercise contribute to a healthy lifestyle and increased quality of life...but here's a real simple tip beyond the nutritional suggestions: skip Mickey D's and go home and cook a meal for the people you love.