The National Weather Service’s Doppler Radar indicated a severe thunderstorm is headed for parts of Holbrook, Holtsville and Ronkonkoma, according to Weather.com.
The storm could produce quarter size hail and damaging winds in excess of 60 mph. It is moving east at 15 mph and was located near Melville.
The warning is in effect until at least 5:30 p.m.
Thursday went from being sunny and partly cloudy with a medium temperature of 85 degrees to rainy and a low of 68 tonight and Friday.
If a severe thunderstorm warning is issued while you’re at home, Weather.com offers the following helpful tips:
If you are at home, protect yourself and your family following the safety tips below:
- Follow weather reports. Make sure a battery-powered radio is nearby.
- Lightning can cause power surges. Unplug all appliances before the storm hits.
- Avoid using the phone. Telephone lines can conduct electricity.
- Metal pipes also conduct electricity. Stay away from faucets, sinks, and bathtubs.
- Close the blinds and shades of your window, then keep away from them.
- Keep pets on a leash or in a carrier.
Stay tuned to Sachem Patch for any weather related updates.