The Suffolk County Executive's Office recently announced the opening of new Red Cross Shelters tonight in light of the continuing bad weather and power outages.
For some residents, power has not been restored since Hurricane Sandy slammed into Long Island more than a week ago. Now, others are losing power from the brisk nor'easter currently blowing into the region, bringing freezing rain and 60 mph gusts. The Town of Islip has already reinstated mandatory evacuations for the closest residents to the shoreline.
Below is a list of the new shelters, including the old Sachem School District Central Office in Holbrook.
- North Babylon High School-1 Phelps Lane, North Babylon
- Village Green Center-423 Park Ave., Huntington, NY
- St Joseph’s College-155 West Roe Blvd, (Sunrise and Waverly Rd.) Patchogue, NY
- Sachem Central Teachers Association (Formally known as the Sachem Central District Office)-245 Union Ave., Holbrook, NY
- William Floyd High School-240 Mastic Beach Rd., Mastic Beach, NY
Pet Friendly Shelter (Pets only)
- North Babylon Fire Department-20 Hale Rd, North Babylon, NY
Also, through a release from the Town of Brookhaven, it was confirmed that the evacuees who had to move out of Sachem East High School when it re-opened were moved to the St. Joseph's College shelter in Patchogue.