A Muslim family from Farmingville says they were assaulted, battered and forcibly removed from the Empire State Building's observation deck while they were praying last year, according to a New York Post report.
Fahad and Amina Tirmizi have now filed a $5 million lawsuit against the owners of the building, as well as a security company, alleging that they "were unfairly targeted because they were Muslim and wearing traditional Muslim attire," the Post reported.
The Tirmizis say they were peacefully reciting evening prayers in a quiet area with their two children on the observation deck last July 2 when they were confronted by two security guards who told them they were not allowed to pray on the deck. The family says they were then “forcibly escorted” out of the building.
The Huffington Post reported that the suit also accuses the Empire State Building of having an unlawful policy "whether express or implied, that subjects Muslims to greater and/or heightened suspicion, security and/or surveillance compared to other religious and non-religious individuals."