We had a very spirited debate on our post, "You Tell Us: Big Ideas for Making Smithtown Better," as a steady flow of locals joined to discussion to offer their ideas for improving the community.
Before we collect all of these and begin our polling process, we want to make sure we give everybody a chance to share. Remember, don't be afraid to think big. Think a monorail would greatly improve St. James, for example? Don't be afraid to share it. Well, maybe not the monorail idea.
Here's where our list stands so far:
- Equal representation for all Smithtown communities on Smithtown board (Commack, Nesconset, St. James, etc.)
- Tax incentives to spur Main Street businesses
- Fix dangerous roads and intersections (Main Street, Landing and Edgewood Ave.)
- Upgrade sewers and septic systems in business district
- Address vacancies, forbid use of open space until vacancies are repurposed
- Term limits for town supervisor
- Clear development plan for Middle Country Road and Mains Street, targeting specific industries with tax incentives. (medical, food service)
- Increase green space set-backs/landscaping requirements on main roads
- Create a "restaurant row' at former Mandees space.