Meeting of the OWLS. Members of the group Only Wish Lake Ronkonkoma Success (OWLS) will be holding a general meeting tonight at 7 p.m. at the Lake Ronkonkoma Historical Society. Light refreshments will be served. Tonight's topic will be a discussion on the prevention and upkeep of vacated commercial spaces in the area.
Credit Card Theft. Patch will have some details on a female suspect who stole a credit card from a gym on Portion Road and used it at the BP gas station in Ronkonkoma. Police are asking for the public's help with this case.
Lake Ronkonkoma Beach Closed. In case you missed it, last night Sachem Patch reported that Lake Ronkonkoma Beach has been closed to swimming. Click on the hyperlink to read all about it.
Chinese Auction. Alive After 5, continues in Patchogue Village tonight with a Chinese Auction held on West Main Street. Head down there at 5 p.m. and win a chance to score a slew of giveaways thanks to donations from places like Adventureland, Brickhouse Brewery and Clare Rose Playhouse.
On This Day. President Theodore Roosevelt, a Long Islander, became the first U.S. President to be seen in public riding an automobile.
Famous Birthdays. Is today your birthday? You share it with some prominent figures:
- Bill Parcells, football coach, turns 72
- Carl Yastrzemski, baseball legend, Bridgehampton native, turns 74
- Annie Proulx, author, turns 78
- David Chase, creator of "The Sopranos," turns 68
- Paul Molitor, Hall of Fame baseball player, turns 57
- Tori Amos, singer, turns 50
- Deng Xiaoping, Chinese ruler until 1997. b. 1904.
- Dorothy Parker, short story writer and poet, b. 1893